The UK’s act for Eurovision 2026 has been revealed, following claims the previous representative had been axed by bosses when the BBC discovered their past ‘unacceptable comments and behaviour’.
Electronic act Look Mum No Computer will take to the stage in Vienna in May in a bid to win over Europe’s votes.
Announcing his involvement on BBC Radio 2, Look Mum No Computer, said it was ‘bonkers’ to be part of Eurovision after being a fan of the contest for many years.
The annual competition will celebrate its 70th anniversary later this year, but has found itself in the midst of its ‘most serious crisis ever’ following a growing boycott by several countries.
It was reported last month that a previous performer was being lined up by BBC bosses to represent the UK, but was axed after comments they had made online previously were discovered during routine background checks.
LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER said: ‘I find it completely bonkers to be jumping on this wonderful and wild journey.
Electronic act LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER will represent the UK at the 2026 Eurovision Song Contest, the BBC have announced
‘I have always been a massive Eurovision fan, and I love the magical joy it brings to millions of people every year, so getting to join that legacy and fly the flag for the UK is an absolute honour that I am taking very seriously.
‘I’ve been working a long-time creating, writing, and producing my own visions from scratch, and documenting my process.
‘I will be bringing every ounce of my creativity to my performances, and I can’t wait for everyone to hear and see what we’ve created. I hope Eurovision is ready to get synthesized!’
LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER launched his career in 2014 as Sam Battle, the frontman of the indie rock band ZIBRA.
The band performed at Glastonbury in 2015 for BBC Introducing, and since then, he launched his flourishing solo career indulging his passion for electronic and synth sounds.
Kalpna Patel-Knight, Head of Entertainment at the BBC said: ‘We are absolutely thrilled to have LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER representing the UK at Eurovision in Vienna in 2026. His bold vision, unique sound and electric performance style make him a truly unforgettable artist.
‘LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER embodies everything the UK wants to celebrate on the Eurovision stage – creativity, ambition, and a distinctly British wit. I am sure he will make us all proud on the international stage in May.’
Suzy Lamb, Managing Director, BBC Studios Entertainment says: ‘We are incredibly excited that LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER will represent the UK at this year’s Eurovision Song Contest.
‘He is a genuinely original artist whose creativity and enormous love for Eurovision perfectly capture the spirit of the competition.
‘Our team at BBC Studios worked to find something very different musically and LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER really stood out. From his innovative approach to music-making to the strong connection he has built with audiences online, he brings a unique energy to his performances that we can’t wait for Eurovision fans around the world to experience in May.’
The 70th Eurovision Song Contest will be held in Vienna, Austria following JJ’s victory at the Grand Final in May 2025 in Basel, Switzerland with their song Wasted Love.
It comes after it was reported last month that an unnamed music act was axed from representing the UK after bosses discovered unacceptable online comments.
The unnamed performer was said to have been dragged into a meeting where they were told they would no longer represent the UK in Austria.
Last year the UK was represented by Remember Monday, who performed their original song What The Hell Just Happened? and finished in 19th place out of 26 countries in the final.
A source told The Sun: ‘The BBC can’t take any chances with Eurovision being such a pressure cooker this year. Routine checks brought up past behaviour that just didn’t line up.
‘It was brutal but they were dragged into a meeting and told they could no longer represent the UK, naturally the person was mortified and devastated.
‘It’s been a mess ever since the start of the year trying to find a new act.’
In December, the Daily Mail revealed the contest is facing its most serious crisis in Eurovision history, as more countries considered joining Ireland, Spain, the Netherlands and Slovenia in boycotting the event.
It comes after several public broadcasters pulled out of this year’s competition after organisers decided to allow Israel to compete, putting political discord on centre stage over a usually joyful celebration of music.
It was previously reported on December 5 that Belgium’s broadcaster said it would ‘take a position in the coming days’, while Iceland’s RÚV said it would not make a final decision on its participation until the following week.
As of February 2026, Belgium is set to compete in the Song Contest, while Iceland has since withdrawn.
The walkouts came after the general assembly of the European Broadcasting Union – a group of public broadcasters from 56 countries that runs the glitzy annual event – met to discuss concerns about Israel’s participation, which some countries oppose over its conduct of the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.
At the meeting, EBU members voted to adopt tougher contest voting rules in response to allegations that Israel manipulated the vote in favor of their contestants, but took no action to exclude any broadcaster from the competition.
The feel-good pop music gala that draws more than 100 million viewers every year has been roiled by the war in Gaza for the past two years, stirring protests outside the venues and forcing organisers to clamp down on political flag-waving.
‘It’s a historic moment for the European Broadcasting Union. This is certainly one of the most serious crises that the organisation has ever faced,’ said Eurovision expert Dean Vuletic.
‘Next year, we’re going to see the biggest political boycott of Eurovision ever.’
Vuletic, author of ‘Postwar Europe and the Eurovision Song Contest,’ predicted ‘tense’ weeks and months ahead as other countries contemplate joining the walkout and protests set to overshadow the contest’s 70th anniversary in Vienna in May.
Adding to Eurovision’s woes was the announcement last week that a planned anniversary tour had been cancelled, following complaints from fans about the high cost of tickets.
The arena spectacular, announced only last month, had been scheduled to visit 10 countries across Europe this summer, kicking off at London’s O2 Arena on June 15.
Read the full article here


