May 18, 2026 3:33 pm EDT

Prince William and Kate Middleton are reportedly paying $411,435 a year to rent Forest Lodge in Windsor.

The hefty cost was revealed in documents filed on May 14 that list the Prince and Princess of Wales as the proprietors for their “forever home,” according to The Times.

The couple and their children —  Prince George, 12, Princess Charlotte, 10, and Prince Louis, 8 — have been living in the eight-bedroom Georgian mansion located on the Windsor Estate since October.

The Times reported that William and Kate’s rental agreement covers the main house plus two cottages on the grounds, which are used by staff.

Forest Lodge’s previous tenant was Alexander Fitzgibbons, chairman of the event planning business Fait Accompli that William, 43, and Kate, 44, and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle used for their respective weddings.

Fitzgibbons reportedly used to live in the home for $289,316 annually — $120,000 less than what the future king and queen are paying now.

Shifts in the housing market are to blame for the rent vastly increasing for William and Kate, who signed a 20-year lease for the property in July 2025, per The Times.

The couple also made major security upgrades to their new home, including planting new trees and hedgerows around the property and erecting fences to shield them from public view.

Page Six previously reported that William and Kate won’t be living at Forest Lodge full-time when they eventually ascend the throne.

Hugo Vickers, writer and friend of the royal family, told us last year that the couple will still need to reside at Buckingham Palace to carry out their major royal duties.

“The king has to be somewhere convenient to the center of government,” Vickers said. “They can’t expect ministers to come to Windsor.”

“I am sure William and Catherine will have to use Buckingham Palace as their London base and also for ceremonial duties,” he added.

William and Kate moved from Adelaide Cottage, their four-bedroom property, where they resided for over three years.

A source told the US Sun that the family chose to relocate to put Kate’s March 2024 cancer diagnosis behind them.

“Moving gives them an opportunity for a fresh start and a new chapter; an opportunity to leave some of the more unhappy memories behind,” a source told the Sun of Kate, who has since gone into remission.

Read the full article here

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version