The tariffs are coming for the video game industry.
Nintendo said in a statement Friday that it was delaying pre-orders for the hotly anticipated Nintendo Switch 2 console, though it added that it is still on track for a June 5, 2025 release.
“Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions,” the company said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. “Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged.”
Nintendo had debuted the Switch 2 earlier this week, announcing the release date and a $450 price point. it also announced a number of high-profile games, including a new game in the Mario Kart franchise calls Mario Kart World, and a new Donkey Kong game, called Donkey Kong Bananaza, to be released later in the summer.
Of course, just hours after Nintendo announced the Switch 2, President Trump announced sweeping tariffs, including a surprise 24% tariff on imports from Japan.
Video games are a part of the entertainment business that could be hit hard by tariffs, as they rely on advanced electronics, chips and physical devices. In particular, new console sales like the Switch 2 could be hit particularly hard.
Read the full article here