May 19, 2026 7:28 am EDT

Josh Widdicombe attempted to dodge Strictly questions as he refused to confirm rumours he is set to host the series in an excruciating Good Morning Britain interview on Tuesday. 

The comedian, 43, appeared on the ITV show to chat to Susanna Reid and Ed Balls about an event for McCain & Beyond Equality that he is taking part in this summer. 

But chat soon turned to Strictly after he was ‘confirmed’ as the new host last week. 

Susanna asked him if he was the new presenter, to which Josh didn’t give much away and replied: ‘Look it’s lovely to be linked with the role, it’s an impressive thing to have on my CV, linked to Strictly.  I think I would do a lovely job. 

‘If I was casting it, I would look for a couple that have got Strictly heritage, two stars of the ballroom, chemistry, weekends off, experience in live TV…

‘There is only one couple I can think of and they are sitting right in front of me. They are the perfect duo to host Strictly!’

Josh Widdicombe attempted to dodge Strictly questions as he refused to confirm rumours he is set to host the series in an excruciating Good Morning Britain interview on Tuesday 

The comedian, 43, appeared on the ITV show to chat to Susanna Reid and Ed Balls about an event Beyond Equality he is taking part later this summer

Claudia Winkleman and Tess Daly stepped down from their roles on Strictly back in October 2025 after 11 years on the show together

Susanna responded: ‘I hate to rule anything out. I don’t think either of us have been approached, yet. Getting back to the question… Are you, third time of asking, are you the next presenter of Strictly Come Dancing?’ 

Swerving a confirmation once again, Josh said: ‘It would be lovely to be the next presenter of Strictly Come Dancing. Wouldn’t it? It would be lovely, but the thing is, right..’

‘He’s not ruling himself out,’ Susanna said. 

Josh replied: ‘He’s not ruling himself in!’ to which Susanna said: ‘I think it does mean he’s got it.’ 

‘It doesn’t mean anything!’ Josh told the pair. ‘Look, I’m glad to be linked with it, I’m glad you’re having fun with it.’

Susanna asked: ‘Would you love to do it?’ 

He said: ‘I would love to do it, of course, I would love to do it, but I think we’d all love to do it!’ 

Show judge Shirley Ballas later appeared on the programme and addressed the rumours about Josh, saying: ‘Well he looks very comfortable on that sofa, doesn’t he?

‘It’s above my pay grade to say who, but I know it’s not me.’ 

Ed asked if she knew who the new host is, to which she replied: ‘Kind of, kind of yes maybe [I know who it is]. And the five professionals coming on, and I’m telling you now, this is going to be the series of all series.

‘There’s so many tweaks and turns, and things that are going on. I want people to be hyped and excited about what’s going on Strictly Come Dancing. You’re not going to disappointed, that I can assure you.’ 

Addressing Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman leaving the iconic show, Shirley said: ‘Whoever comes onto this show, they are going to be amazing ion their own right.

‘Tess and Claudia, they were there for me when I started 10 years ago, I love them, they are dear friends of mine.

‘One day I’ll have a shelf life and I’ll move on. Things move on.’

Ed asked: ‘Do you think that you have to have someone who has that sort of depth and understanding, and experience to do the presenting job?’

Show judge Shirley Ballas later appeared on the programme and addressed the rumours about Josh, saying: ‘Well he looks very comfortable on that sofa, doesn’t he?’ 

Shirley told the broadcaster: ‘Any presenter like yourselves it’s got to be natural, got to have chemistry on camera, not only with the judges, but the celebrities.

‘I think that you are going to be really excited about this.’ 

She was asked about Emma Willis, Rylan Clark and Josh Widdicombe and said that she can ‘can neither confirm nor deny’ if they will be the next hosts. 

Shirley told Ed and Susanna: ‘I love them all, whoever is the right person, the BBC will make sure they choose the right person for the public.’

She added: ‘The four judges will be there to help them in their new role, whoever they are.’

Last week Josh emerged as the shock favourite to host the BBC dance show alongside Emma Willis and Johannes Radebe after impressing bosses.

No stranger to the show, Josh appeared on the 2024 Christmas Special dressed as a penguin, where he danced alongside professional Karen Hauer, who won’t be returning for the upcoming series. 

Josh marks the first male to front the programme since Bruce Forsyth, which could prove some big shoes to fill. 

Sir Bruce – who died in 2017 – starred alongside Tess Daly until his retirement in 2013, when Claudia Winkleman then took over.

Josh has appeared as a co-host on The Last Leg alongside Alex Brooker and Adam Hills since 2012. 

Bosses will be hoping Josh will serve as a replacement for Claudia’s comedic energy and help put contestants at ease, while Emma will steer the show.  

The BBC told the Daily Mail: ‘Plans for Strictly Come Dancing 2026 will be confirmed in due course.’ 

A source said earlier this week: ‘Josh blew the producers away with his dead-pan, witty banter. He is family friendly, having helmed several shows now, and loves Strictly.’ 

They added to The Sun: ‘The bosses believe he will be ideal to take the show into a new era. After years as a stand-up, he can handle a live audience and is razor-sharp.

‘He’s not a household name, yet, and so to step into Brucie’s shoes would be a stellar move for his career.’

Josh will be joining Emma Willis who was ‘revealed’ as the new host last week after emerging as the frontrunner during a cutthroat audition process. 

The popular presenter is thought to have impressed during the Strictly chemistry tests, with the BBC seeing her as a ‘safe pair of hands’. 

A source said on Monday night: ‘Emma has been offered the Strictly job and is going to accept. She absolutely nailed the chemistry tests and the BBC adore her.

‘Emma is a household name and a safe pair of hands so the BBC know she will do the job justice.

‘She’s incredibly popular with the public too and will suit the role down to a tee. She was absolutely thrilled to have been offered the job.’

Meanwhile, Johannes is reportedly set to join Emma and Josh as part of the hosting line up for the new series.

The South African-born dancer and choreographer, 39, has been a professional on the show since 2018 but a new report now claims he could be presenting this year.

A source said: ‘Everyone involved in the auditions – including the celebs – are saying the job is going to JoJo.

Join the discussion

What do you make of the new Strictly hosts?

Johannes Radebe is reportedly set to join Emma and Josh as part of the hosting line up for the new series 

‘During the chemistry tests he was paired up with every other celeb and did incredibly well.’

The insider added to The Sun: ‘They all think he would be the perfect partner for Emma. He has been announced as one of the returning professional dancers but that doesn’t mean bosses aren’t going to promote him.’

Last week, frontrunner Zoe Ball broke the news that she had lost out on the job, admitting that she is ‘working through the seven stages of grief and rejection’.

Such candour from celeb candidates is rare and proves the lustre of the role. But according to insiders, bosses are now pinning all their hopes on one woman.

A producer who worked on a reality show with Emma, 50, a few years ago has insisted: ‘If anyone can turn things around for Strictly, it’s her.’

‘There’s something she has on screen, a mix of vulnerability and confidence, that everyone just falls in love with.’

Emma is thought to have impressed during the chemistry tests and auditions which have taken place in recent weeks. 

She is well versed in Saturday night telly, having raised viewing figures on The Voice UK by two million when she took over from Holly Willoughby in 2014.

She’s also honed her live presenting skills on reality telly juggernaut Big Brother and via her stand-in stints on This Morning.

After weeks of speculation and multiple major names turning the job down, nine shortlisted stars were summoned to a top-secret location in London to battle it out in full-scale dress rehearsals with a judging panel and live band in a bid to get the troubled show back on track.

BBC bosses held secret auditions and chemistry tests with the celebrities and forced the stars to sign strict NDAs to keep the tryouts under wraps.

Last month, a source told The Sun: ‘It’s not just about reading autocue. They’ll be looking at how people work together and humour is a massive part of it. There’s everything to play for.’

The chosen few who were called to the final test were watched closely and bosses are hoping to make a decision soon.

Among those confirmed to be in the callbacks were Rylan, Emma, Tom Allen and One Show presenter Alex Jones.

A source said: ‘They really want to bring the fun this year. It’s all about chemistry, who clicks instantly and can keep the energy up live on air.

‘They could stick with two female hosts as that’s worked brilliantly. But they’re also open to mixing it up.

‘If Rylan and Tom Allen click, that could be a hilarious pairing. Equally, they could even introduce a third presenter to shake things up.’

The Beeb have recently given an insight into what fans can expect for the 24th series of the much-loved programme.

The likes of Dianne Buswell, 37, Nancy Xu, 34, Vito Coppola, 33, Julian Caillon, 30, Carlos Gu, 33, Lauren Oakley, 35, Amy Dowden, 35, Katya Jones, 36, Neil Jones, 44, Nikita Kuzmin, 28, Jowita Przystał, 31, Johannes Radebe, 39, Aljaž Škorjanec, 36, Alexis Warr, 25, and Kai, 30, will be returning to the dance floor this year.

They will be joined by some new professional dancers who are yet to be announced. 

Karen Hauer, 43, Gorka Marquez, 35, Nadiya Bychkova, 36, Michelle Tsiakkas, 30, and Luba Mushtuk, 36, were all given the boot.

The celebrities will be judged by Shirley Ballas, 65, Craig Revel Horwood, 61, Motsi Mabuse, 45, and Anton du Beke, 59. 

Read the full article here

Share.
Leave A Reply

Exit mobile version