Australian reality TV star Rod Manning has thanked fans after he was inundated with their support following his shock stage four bowel cancer diagnosis.
The Outback Opal Hunters personality, who has appeared on the popular Discovery show since 2019, posted a clip to social media on Sunday thanking fans for their support via his GoFundMe page, which has exceeded its $90,000 target.
‘G’Day viewers. I really don’t know what to say. “Thank you” is just not big enough. The support you have all shown us is just truly amazing… very humbling,’ Rod began.
‘I’m just a dusty old opal miner from the outback and you would never expect the love and support I have been shown.’
He added the outpouring of support had reinforced his faith in the community.
‘It is a truly wonderful thing, it shows you how many good people are out there in the world,’ he said.
Australian reality TV star Rod Manning has thanked fans after he was inundated with their support following his shock stage four bowel cancer diagnosis
Rod then said that the money raised – over $100,000 – would be put to good use and ensured his family would be provided for in the worst case scenario.
‘If I don’t make it, then it leaves a few dollars to my family. That is one thing I have been so worried about,’ he said.
‘It relieves that part of it. The support, the messages, it all really, really helps. You know, on those down days when I am in a lot of pain, you read some of those messages… it is a wonderful thing,’ Rod said.
Many of Rod’s followers took to the comments section to offer him their words of support.
‘You are a top bloke Rod, we have seen that season after season, as you supported others asking nothing in return. Now it’s your time for a little of those good vibes to be returned to you,’ one person wrote.
‘Positive thinking Rod. Truly believe you will beat this,’ a second added.
Last week, Rod shocked fans by revealing he had been diagnosed with cancer in a social media clip.
‘G’day viewers, not really sure how to start this but I owe it to you since a lot of you have been with me since day one. I have been diagnosed with cancer,’ Rod began.
The Outback Opal Hunters personality posted a clip to social media on Sunday thanking fans for their support via his GoFundMe page, which has exceeded its $90,000 target
Rod added the outpouring of support has reinforced his faith in the community
The 53-year-old then revealed that his health battle had forced him to cut back on opal mining, as he focused on his recovery.
‘I got stage four bowel cancer, it is in the lymph nodes, so I have not been able to do a lot of mining. I got a couple of real good mates who have jumped in to help me out… unfortunately, everything is breaking down,’ he said.
‘I have not had a real good run at it. Hopefully things will turn around soon, as the doctors can just about replace everything that has broken down.’
He added he had already started treatment and in his trademark larrikin-style managed to find the humour in the situation.
‘I was pretty lucky. The chemo I am on doesn’t make facial hair fall out!’ Rod quipped.
Premiering on the Discovery Channel in 2018, Outback Opal Hunters follows the fortunes of rugged miners chasing precious opals across some of Australia’s harshest and most remote regions – from New South Wales and Queensland to South Australia and Western Australia.
Produced by Prospero Productions, the high-stakes factual series has become a global television hit, airing in more than 100 countries including the UK and US.
The series scored a Best Documentary Series nomination at the 2018 Screen Producers Australia Awards and has since cemented itself as one of Australia’s biggest factual television success stories on the global stage.
Read the full article here















